Are you ready to move up in your marketing career? You are not the only one. Oracle's 2021 survey found that 75% of employees feel stuck professionally and personally.
According to Google search trends professionals are seeking to improve their careers. This is the ideal time to make yourself stand out as companies are facing downsizing due to this difficult economy.
Are you feeling stuck in your career? Then ask these two questions:
- What is my mission statement?
- What are my core beliefs to ensure success?
Many people respond with the organization's mission statement or core values. It is written on the walls of the offices and the cups we use to drink our coffee. Leadership also repeats it at meetings.
To be clear, I am not asking for the beliefs of your organization. I'm asking for yours . These are the things that organizations repeat everywhere, let's face it. These beliefs create unity, purpose, sustainable growth, and collectively they breed success. A core set of beliefs is the foundation of all successful organizations. They are referenced daily. You can find valuable information on crafting a content marketing mission. You will find fewer articles about how to create your own mission statement.
This is an essential piece of the success formula in many organizations. Should it not be for your career (and business)?
These tips were very helpful to me:
These tips were heavily influenced my mentors, peers and experiences. They helped me grow my career from an entry-level position to an executive leadership role, managing a $400MM advertising budget. These six beliefs have helped me make the most of my "right time, right place" moments.
I worked in a small marketing agency with three people in 2012. I was able to be the master of many trades as we had only a few clients. Website, content, client pitches and paid advertising. SEO is just one of the many things I can do. What are the cons? Because we didn't have office space, we worked from Panera. What are the pros? The pros? Amazing opportunity.
Then I moved to a finance role at Fortune 200, where I felt like an average person. As I walked through the cubicle farm, I noticed a small picture frame inside one of the cubicles. The frame said, "Thanks for your 15 years of dedicated service." Very soon after, I left that company. I was looking for a new opportunity, but it was right in the middle. Although the agency is larger than mine, it's smaller than a Fortune 200.
The Goldilocks was what I found. It offered stability and career visibility that a Fortune 200 could not. It's the best of both.
- In sales, we made 35 million that year.
- Six years later, we have surpassed $1 Billion in sales.
I joined a company that had a great product and great people. They also had a hungry leadership team. This is the "right time, right place" combination. With these six beliefs, anything is possible.
6 Tips To Grow Your Marketing Career
- Learn Something Every Day.
- Prioritize tangible results
- Positivity has the power to make you happy
- Always assume the best intent
- The Outcome is what you should be focusing on, not the process
- You can make yourself replaceable (yes, seriously).
Tip #1 – Learn Something Every Day
Write down one thing you have learned each day. These learnings should be reviewed periodically. Do not force yourself to do the same thing twice.
Content is the king. Content is king in business and in our careers. Plus, marketers are well aware of the power content has. Every day brings us more thoughts than we realize, and you have learned something.
It doesn't always have to be a life-changing experience (I know there were days when I realized that I wasn't productive because I hadn't eaten breakfast). Not every day is a "shout it out from the rooftops" breakthrough learning experience.
Some days are worse than others. These days I realize that the idea could have taken off if I had taken an entirely different approach.
Don't force learning the hard way. This will help you to stay one step ahead of the rest.
The short version: Each night, write down what you have learned that day.
Tip #2 – Focus on tangible results first
Ask your leaders what you can do. You'd be amazed at how little they know.
Over the past several years, I've managed to lead a team that included 100+ marketers. It's surprising how many people are asking "What can I do?" With the increased use of project management tools, assembly line worker syndrome (I may have invented this term, but it is the "not mine until it gets me" syndrome). This has become a common occurrence. Many times, people feel that they have completed their day when they check off the last task on a project. Ask your leader to share their greatest short-term challenge after you have completed the final task on your list. It is worth taking some time to reflect on it and to come up with ideas.
Remember the bigger picture. It all depends on what organization you work for. While you might not feel it every day, you are making a difference. Keep that in mind and use it to encourage. It may seem impossible to realize, but your daily efforts could make the difference between someone's child attending a paid field trip and someone's child participating in dance class.
The bottom line: Ask how you can help. It's rare that leaders ask this question. And remember, the impact you can make.
Tip #3 – The Power of Positivity Is Real
Do your best to be a person who is excited to get to work every day.
It's Friday already? – You hear it every week. Some organizations hear it on Tuesday. It is a great job to be surrounded by people who are excited to get to work every day. No matter what your job title, smiling is a good thing. Your smile can spread across the group and flow to other groups.
The bottom line: Negativity is deadly; positivity thrives. Make a difference.
Tip #4 – Always assume the best intent
Before you interpret the tone via text, pick up your phone and make the call.
We've all been there. You know what it is: the snarky email or the brief text? Don't jump to conclusions before you pick up the phone or video chat with your colleague. Ask them to clarify their words. Keep the conversation short. This will help you determine the tone of the conversation without having to read it.
People have bad days. It's better to be understanding than aggressive. Listen to what they are saying and don't react. In-person? Even better. Although it may seem awkward at first, you will soon master a skill. It's a good workout.
Do you want to learn more about creating a positive remote work environment? This article outlines 7 ways to increase communication within a remote team.
TL;DR: No font deciphers written tone. Technology can lead to miscommunication, especially via text/email/chat. Jump on a video chat to resolve any miscommunications.
Tip #5 – Focus on the Outcome and not the Process
Innovation and ingenuity are not created by a process. Innovation and ingenuity are only possible through authenticity.
What are the seven most dangerous business words? "We've always done it that way." The process is intended to accomplish a particular goal, most likely one that has already been accomplished before. It is to ensure repeatability. Sometimes, the process may need to be modified or altered slightly in order to achieve the best result. To remain flexible and lean, you should do this case-by-case.
Here's an example: Company Z sells widgets. Customers reach out to Company Z for a quote. The company contacts the consumer by phone or email, but wants to offer SMS text messaging. We all know that texting is preferred by consumers and that SMS marketing is increasing at 20% per year. Based on current workload, and other projects with higher priorities, adding texting to our technology stack would take us 60 days.
- Leaders who are focused on the process might say, "Let's have a meeting to discuss the 60-day plan. We can then get it into our enterprise project management system. Maybe we can reduce it to 50 days if some things are changed."
- Leaders who are focused on the outcome might ask: "What other solutions can we find to achieve the same outcome, while simultaneously figuring out the long-term resolution?"
It is interesting to note that one leader is pushing for a statement and the other leader pushing a question. You can move your career forward by asking questions and finding a way for it to happen.
The semi-automated solution was launched by the company in the above example and went live within a few hours. Although it took only a few clicks to send mass texts, the result was the same. Consumers were being contacted in the way that they preferred. The difference in the bottom line was amazing.
TL:DR: Don't sacrifice the outcome in exchange for the process. But, if you have to, then sacrifice the process.
Tip #6 – Make Yourself Replaceable (yes, seriously)
How do you get promoted the fastest? Find someone to mentor you, teach them everything, then return to #2.
I have seen digital marketers with incredible talent take on new roles and then automate their jobs within a week. I've seen content marketers use the latest technology to speed up their work. While leaders are not afraid to use technology to produce faster and better work than others, it is often difficult for them to raise the standards of their junior staff members.
My best advice to anyone working in their career would be to consider yourself as a replacement. Anyone who wants to move up in their career should plan for succession. Those who fail to cultivate the next level of talent will face glass ceilings. Find a mentor and let yourself go. Then, raise your hand to ask for help.
The bottom line: You should be focusing on creating leaders and not followers.
These are the Tips and Tricks to Use
Your career is an important part of your life, but it's not the only thing that matters. If you are committed to your career growth, you owe the company the same respect as you give to your personal growth.
- Every day, learn something new.
- Concentrate on concrete results.
- Positive thinking is key.
- Be the best version of yourself.
- Concentrate on the end result.
- Finally, be able to replace yourself.
Do you want to find more information on career growth? Networking is a powerful tool.
Marketing Insider Group published the post 6 Beliefs that Helped Grow my Career to SVP, Managing A $400MM Marketing Budget (use these for growth).
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 7 Steps of Internet Marketing Strategy?
Internet marketing strategies help businesses achieve their goals through online media. These seven steps are planning, research and implementation. Monitoring, analysis, optimization, optimization, and evaluation are the key components. Each step is critical for effective internet marketing, and should always be done.
- Planning – This step involves identifying who your target audience is and creating a plan of how to reach them. Consider the product or services you offer, as well as who might be interested.
- You can use research to understand the needs and interests of your customers so that you can choose the products or services that best meet their needs. You also gain valuable insight into consumer behavior and trends.
- Implementation involves choosing a platform, such as Facebook, and deciding where to place ads. Once you’ve chosen your platforms, ensure they’re set up correctly. Also, consider whether to pay per Click or spend money advertising.
- Monitoring – This is how you can see if your efforts have been successful. Google Analytics provides analytics tools that allow you to track traffic flows and conversion rates.
- This allows you compare results to benchmarks as well as previous performance levels. If you find areas underperforming, this step guides how to improve.
- Optimization – Making changes to your website in order to attract more visitors is called optimization. Your site could be enhanced with new features, or changed in the way that users navigate.
- Evaluation – Evaluating your progress lets you see how well your campaign performs. Are there opportunities to improve? If not, you may not have reached your goals. You’ll still need to address any issues.
What is the difference in marketing and advertising?
Advertising is a type of communication that promotes products and brands. Advertising has a clear call of action. For example, “Buy now!” or “Click here.”
Marketing is another way to communicate the mission, vision and values of your company to potential customers. Marketing is also a way to establish relationships with potential customers and current customers.
You might use marketing to tell the world about yourself and your products if you sell footwear online. You could talk about your history, philosophy, and commitment to quality. You could share testimonials from satisfied customers. Or you might even create an event where you give away free pairs of shoes to encourage people to visit your website.
In short, marketing is about telling stories. Advertising is about selling goods.
Why is it so important that your brand is defined?
Your company’s brand is nothing more than a promise you make to your customers. A brand promises specific qualities and benefits that make your company stand apart from other companies. Your brand is what differentiates you from others in the same industry.
A brand can give you authority and credibility. Your logo instantly identifies your company to potential customers. They trust you because they have respect for you.
Your brand is also a reflection of your company’s culture. If your employees are passionately involved in your brand, then it is probably reflective of your passion for the product or service.
Your brand is more than just words and pictures. It’s a promise that you company will keep. It is a promise to deliver value to customers.
You need to take into account several things when you are attempting to build your brand. You want your name to clearly describe what your company does. If you own a bakery, Sweet Dreams Bakery would be your choice. For a software company, DreamSpark Software is the right choice.
Next, decide how you want your brand to be represented. Will your logo be easily identifiable? Will you use colors that complement your corporate image? Do you plan to use logos?
You’ll also want to think about how your target audience sees your brand. Are you friendly and helpful? Are you trustworthy and professional? Will you seem knowledgeable and experienced?
These are all the questions that you should answer before building your brand.
What are some examples for direct marketing?
Direct Marketing Examples include postcards, brochures, flyers, e-mails, etc.
Direct marketing allows people to reach you at their homes or wherever they happen to be. Direct marketing is the best way for customers to choose your product or service over other brands.
Know what type of message would be most appealing to your target markets.
It is important to understand your customer’s needs and give it to them.
Direct marketing is a great way to promote your brand. For example, you could send catalogs to potential customers or advertise in local newspapers.
Another option is to create your own mailing list from existing customers. You can easily add subscribers to your existing customers list if there is a good database.
Ask your customers if they would like promotional material. Special offers may be offered by some companies to get discounts.
What are 3 examples for internet marketing?
Internet Marketing refers to all online activities that promote products or services. Internet marketing encompasses email marketing, social networking, search engine optimization, pay-per click advertising (PPC), website design, and pay-per view.
Important to remember that these terms do NOT necessarily mean you will have to spend any money to make money. There are plenty of ways to generate income without spending any cash whatsoever. But, the higher your return, the more you will invest in each option.
Email marketing is one of the most effective forms of internet marketing. This involves sending emails to potential customers informing them about your company and the latest offers.
Another popular marketing method is social media. Users can interact with family and friends on social media sites such LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. These sites provide businesses an excellent way to communicate with their clients, increase awareness and build trust in their products or service.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO), a technique to increase website visibility in search engines, is called Search Engine Optimization. Webmasters can increase traffic to their websites by increasing the quantity and quality of relevant backlinks.
Website design is the art and science of designing websites that are attractive and work well. Website designers determine the style and layout of a website. Website designers ensure that websites meet accessibility standards and comply with technical specifications.
Advertisers can bid on keywords that are related to their products and services through Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC). Advertisers earn a commission when someone clicks their ad. PPC ads often appear at either the top or lowest search results pages.
What are some examples for indirect marketing?
To promote your business, think about indirect marketing methods. You might launch a social media campaign asking people to post pictures of themselves using your product. This could spread awareness of your brand.
You could advertise in the local paper if your auto shop is open. This would encourage people to take their cars to your shop instead of visiting other shops.
Others include posting advertisements on bulletin boards or sending coupons to customers’ e-mail addresses.
Direct marketing is a great option because it’s not expensive.
However, it takes time to build trust among people, so you’ll need patience when promoting your business this way.
Also, you need to monitor how effective your campaigns perform. Measure the number and quality of leads that each method generates.
This will give you an idea of the best methods for your business.
Which are the best digital marketing strategies you can do from your home?
Digital marketing is a powerful way to reach customers online. It is also an excellent way to generate leads that will help your business.
You can promote your brand using social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. You can also use email marketing tools to send emails to potential clients and prospects.
You can also market your product and service in digital media in many other ways.
It shouldn’t be difficult to get started as long as you are familiar with how to use these channels.
- Today, 81% of brands around the world have affiliate programs. (influencermarketinghub.com)
- This allows us to deliver CPCs that are 80% less than average and CTRs 4-5 times higher than average. (marketinginsidergroup.com)
- Meanwhile, a PartnerPath poll found that co-marketed ads help 68% of consumers arrive at a buying decision before even speaking to a salesperson. (influencermarketinghub.com)
- A poll earlier this year found that 14% of older Gen Z’s had bought an item in the previous six months based on an influencer’s recommendation. (influencermarketinghub.com)
- From 2020 to 2022, eMarketer predicts that digital marketing will grow by 36% and take up 54% of marketing budgets! (marketinginsidergroup.com)
- SEO Learning Center – Moz
- [Case study] How we ranked #1 in a high-volume keyword in under 3 months – Moz
How can I tell if my branding efforts have been successful?
The best way to measure your success is to ask your customers directly. Ask them what their opinions are about your brand. What do they like most about your company? What do they dislike? What can you do to improve?
You can also do surveys on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter. Ask your followers to rate your brand. Then, you can analyze the results and decide which aspects of brand success are most important.
Review sites are another option. When people are happy with a business, they love to let their opinion be known. These comments will help you understand the opinions of people about your brand.
These are some ways to improve your brand.
- Be consistent. You shouldn’t update your marketing materials each time you introduce a new product. You should keep your message consistent across all channels.
- Multiple channels are a good thing. You should use email, websites, social media, and other forms of digital communication to promote your brand.
- Make sure that you are giving your customers what it is they want. If you offer free shipping, make sure you deliver on that promise. If you do not deliver, your customers will be disappointed.
- Remember that your brand is more than just a logo. Your brand is the foundation of everything you do. You should take the time and create a comprehensive image.
- Get feedback from customers. You’ll benefit more if your customers give feedback as soon as possible.
- Test different messages. You might discover that one message is better than the rest. Or perhaps you have two similar messages and one gets more attention than the other. You can monitor your stats to determine which message is performing the best.
- Your brand can be improved. Are there areas you could do things differently? Perhaps your website could use more videos. Perhaps your blog could feature more customer testimonials.
- You need to create a plan. After you have established your goals and objectives, it is time to create a plan for reaching them. This includes setting a timeline for each objective. It is also important to set up milestones throughout the journey so you can track your progress.
- Measuring your results is important. As soon as you reach your goal, stop measuring. Instead, set up a system to monitor your performance over time. By doing this, you will always be able to see if you are moving towards your ultimate goal.
- Repeat! Continue to build upon the foundation you’ve created for your brand. Consider hiring someone to help you if your marketing efforts aren’t keeping up.
- Positive thinking is key. While you should never ignore negative feedback, you shouldn’t dwell on it either. Instead, look at how you can improve your brand using this information.
- Technology is your friend. Technology has provided many tools that we never imagined before. Use them to your advantage. One example is a mobile app you could make for your company.
- Try thinking outside the box. Try something different. It’s okay to try something new, but don’t forget to think first.
- Have fun. Marketing isn’t supposed to stress you. It’s often referred to as “fun marketing.” Try to have fun while you work.
- When to give up. You can quit when you feel like you’ve done everything. You shouldn’t give in too quickly. Sometimes, it is necessary to stay with something until you reach your desired results.
- Keep your consistency in mind. Consistency is key for success. It is worth taking the time to create a schedule.
- Be patient. Building a successful brand takes time. It takes time.
- Keep learning. Marketing is constantly evolving. You can stay up to date by reading blogs, or even attending webinars.
- Never stop improving. Even after achieving your goal you can still learn.
- Enjoy the journey. Marketing is fun. Marketing doesn’t have to be boring.
By: Vince Venditti
Title: 6 Beliefs That Helped Grow My Career to SVP, Managing a $400MM Marketing Budget (use these to grow)
Sourced From: marketinginsidergroup.com/content-marketing/six-tips-used-to-go-from-entry-level-to-executive/
Published Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 18:11:40 +0000
Get Your Free "No Credit Card Needed" Access to GrooveFunnels Here https://obboom.com/traffic
Title: Six beliefs that helped me grow from a SVP in my career to managing a $400MM marketing budget. (use these for growth).
Sourced From: internetlib.org/six-beliefs-that-helped-me-grow-from-a-svp-in-my-career-to-managing-a-400mm-marketing-budget-use-these-for-growth/
Published Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 01:15:44 +0000